Monday, December 12, 2011

"one of these things is not like the other" or "me and the jewish deli"

The owner of the company I work for flew in from Panama yesterday to meet everybody and see the office. I was in charge of the catered lunch, which was ordered specially from Kosher Bite Deli in Laguna Hills. (Because the boss is Jewish and keeps kosher. When the guy who is paying your salary asks for no cheese, you do not get cheese, everyone!)

So I walk into the deli that I called a few days beforehand (the woman on the phone kept calling me baby and honey), and no one is behind the counter. I take a quick glance at the room and I am met with 10-15 pairs of staring eyes. Everyone is sitting at a table as if they know exactly what is going on, and I have disrupted the feng shui (or whatever the Jewish equivalent is). I am the youngest person in the room by a solid 45 years, and absolutely everyone is Jewish.

I see an "order here" sign so I go and stand at the abandoned counter waiting for someone to come out. I wait for a minute or two, when this woman walks up and wedges herself between me and the counter, literally an inch in front of me, also waiting for someone to take her order. A group of 5 women walk in immediately after this happens, and all join the woman who has just usurped my first place in line. Then two more people who were sitting in chairs get in line behind them. This whole scene happened across a 60 second time span, and I am standing completely blocked out by 9 Jewish senior citizens.

I'm standing there debating if I should say something, or wondering if maybe there was an unspoken rule that since the woman had been sitting inside the deli longer than me, she got first dibs on placing her order. I made it very clear through staring her down that I had every intention of going next and not letting her cohort all go in front of me. After she ordered, the next woman started to open her mouth, but I interject. "Oh, I'm sorry, were you waiting to order? I didn't even see you there!" (not possible. she nearly stepped on me.)

I unintentionally took my revenge by reclaiming my place in line and picking up my order for 16 people while the army of seniors all had to wait to order their matzo ball soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment